Friday, June 20, 2014

Review: Looking for Alaska

This was the first book I've ever read by John Green. It was given to me in 2012 when I had no idea who John Green was. I really enjoyed the story and I utterly love this book.

Miles is in search for the great perhaps, and has a fascination with famous last words. He meets Alaska Young who is basically the girl of his dreams. Their journey together at boarding school begins and John takes us on an exciting ride in which you constantly feel there is impending doom lurking ahead.

I'm going to keep this review short, because so much has been said on this book. The writing is as great as I always expect now from John Green, and the story unfolds with a great pace that makes you never want to put the book down. You will probably feel some excitement, sadness, and maybe even a little anger reading this book, but I think this book will be memorable. This is an outstanding coming-of-age novel that doesn't resort to a "happily ever after" ending, but the characters each seek closure on their own terms. The characters are well drawn, witty, and full of individual quirks. This book also includes some fun pranks, some great humor, and some shocking turns of events. I loved the "before"/"after" and the whole countdown. I thought that was a really neat tool that helped build suspense.

Looking For Alaska is a book I still love and recommend years later, and occasionally still think about. It remains my favourite JG book, and I would like to personally thank the person who gave me this book for introducing me to this wonderful writer.

Recommended to everyone, really!

                                                                                                                                                                        -Nuraishah Sabrina (P)

No comments:

Post a Comment